Where is the unit located?

Sturt SES is located at 20 Ackland Hill Road, Coromandel Valley.

I live quite a distance away from the unit, can I still join?

As an emergency service, we have a standard of response we need to fulfil. However, we believe that everyone can contribute to the unit in one way or another. Please enquire within to determine if Sturt SES is the nearest most appropriate SES unit to join.

How do I join?

You can join Sturt SES by enquiring directly with the unit. For further information please enquire here. You can otherwise enquire directly through the South Australian State Emergency Service website.  You can also phone 1300 364 587 for a referral to your local Unit.

Do I have to provide my own uniform?

No, all Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as overalls, boots, gloves and helmets are provided.

How much will it cost me?

We are a volunteer organisation funded through the Emergency Services Levy. All necessary equipment and training will be provided to you.

How often do I have to train?

Sturt SES trains every Tuesday night which runs from 7pm through to approximately 10 pm. Regular attendance at unit training will not only allow you to learn new skills and gain further knowledge, but will also ensure you maintain this. In saying that, we understand that your family and work commitments comes first. Our members come from a wide range of employment status including full time, part time, and casual workers who work anywhere from Monday to Friday work to rotating rosters on shift work. This ensures we have a broad range of availabilities from our members. We will discuss your availability with you. 

How am I notified of an incident?

All members are either issued with a response pager or set up on a response system mobile application. The pager may alert at any hour of the day or night, seven days a week. On occasion, members will be on active standby at the unit when our operational tempo increases or when severe weather is expected to impact our response area.

As a volunteer, am I covered for any injury, loss, or damage?

Volunteers are covered for Civil Liability as per the Insurance arrangements between SAICORP (Agency Agreement) and the SES.  The Volunteers Protection Act 2001, under section "Protection from Liability"; states –
A Volunteer incurs no "personal" liability for an act or omission. This means that instead of the liability lying against the individual (Volunteer) it would be against the Agency, in this case the SES. In respect to Personal Accident cover, SES Volunteers are prescribed "Workers" and therefore covered under the Workers Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1986.